BODYLISTENING: A Movement Awareness Practice (MAP) for Everyone
• Body Listening is a body-friendly way to explore free movement.
• The process begins on the floor, exploring your relationship with gravity, attuning to a quiet deep awareness while being held by the continuity and safety of the floor.
• Moving from the body’s felt-sense, habitual patterns unwind and new pathways open.
• The session progresses to standing and moving while maintaining connection with your inner awareness.
• In the last phase of Body Listening, full body movements through space are explored, in relationship to other people.
• Body Listening doesn’t require special training or equipment.
• It doesn’t ask you to abandon the body you have for someone else’s idea of one.
• Body Listening invites you to inhabit the body you are, and discover what unfolds from that awareness.
• It can be done by everyone, regardless of level of health or movement experience.
International performer, wellness educator, and teacher in the art of movement and story, Zuleikha inspires dynamic creativity and rejuvenation through movement. Zuleikha’s training comes from years of intensive study with master teachers of healing and movement in both Eastern and Western traditions, including American avant-garde dance, Indian Kathak, classical music of Afghanistan, Balinese and Japanese dance, and therapeutic health exercise from the Taoist traditionsof China.
Zuleikha uplifts audiences with her funny, soul stirring solo performances weaving together stories and myths of world cultures in praise of Life. Her collaborative work with world musicians and poets has featured such luminaries as poet and renowned translator of Rumi, Coleman Barks, the poet Robert Bly, avante-garde composer performer Terry Riley,world percussionists Glen Velez, cellist David Darling, vocalist/instrumentalist Jai Uttal, the late African drum master Baba Olatungi, electric violinist Tracy Silverman, and other wonderful artists. Zuleikha uplifts theater audiences, schools and conferences with her solo performances and collaborations with musicians and artists throughout the US and abroad.
Edinburgh Guide describes Zuleikha as “a singular figure on the horizon of sacred theater and dance, a mistress of countless faces, who moves effortlessly through space.”Read More »
Zuleikha is an exceptional teacher and inspires people from all walks of life. She works with healthcare practitioners, children and adults recovering from cancer, adults with mental illness, and people with difficulties in their lives. Zuleikha works with youth worldwide, offers workshops for teenage girls, and teacher trainings. She also offers specially designed programs for women, corporations, international organizations and conferences.Read More »