BODY LISTENING: A Movement Awareness Practice (MAP) for Everyone
• Body Listening is a body-friendly way to explore free movement.
• The process begins on the floor, exploring your relationship with gravity, attuning to a quiet deep awareness while being held by the continuity and safety of the floor.
• Moving from the body’s felt-sense, habitual patterns unwind and new pathways open.
• The session progresses to standing and moving while maintaining connection with your inner awareness.
• In the last phase of Body Listening, full body movements through space are explored, in relationship to other people.
• Body Listening doesn’t require special training or equipment.
• It doesn’t ask you to abandon the body you have for someone else’s idea of one.
• Body Listening invites you to inhabit the body you are, and discover what unfolds from that awareness.
• It can be done by everyone, regardless of level of health or movement experience.
BODY LISTENING: Benefits for Everyone
• improved circulation
• increased range of motion in the joints
• better movement awareness
• balanced nervous system
• sensory integration
• relief from chronic patterns of holding tension in the body
• sense of well being, calm, clarity, mental refreshment and alertness
• improved awareness of thoughts, feelings, needs, wants
• emergence of new insight.
• improved foundation for connection with others
• curiosity and openness toward new ways of relating
• increased capacity for empathy toward self and other
•improved ability to express thoughts, feelings, needs and wants and engage meaningfully and authentically with others and the environment.
BODY LISTENING: What People are Saying
“I love each part…the initial exercises lead you to a gentle awakening and opening, the floor work is complete freedom and the final phase of dancing upright is a coming together of all you have been through and a celebration of gratitude and love!”
“In this time of classes…following others’ instruction, it was lovely to find my own body’s voice.”
“I liked the invitation to let the body lead – it felt so freeing.”
“My entire life I felt I was doing something wrong by listening to the voice of my own soul…It was just a beat off and I am pleased that someone is teaching to the world to think and move freely…following the beat of your own energy rather than what’s been embedded generations ago.”
“I felt deep awareness of tension I didn’t realize I was holding and the posture that I had been walking in for I don’t know how long. It was clearing, beneficial to me and my relations to others and the universe.”
“I was so glad to do your work-it was very moving and has had lasting effects.”
“…After, I felt much more awake and in tune and touch not only with my body but I understood what I was feeling too.I was at peace with my mind, body and soul.”
“the exercises showed me what I find most important and helped me listen to myself.”
Read More »
Working from the heart of rhythm, Zuleikha teaches throughout the world. Zuleikha offers participants a chance to explore the open world of feeling through the physicality of movement. Using world music, chant, and poetry, a spacious atmosphere becomes an invitation to commune with one’s innermost feelings. Dance serves as a vehicle to “let go” and enter the wilderness of the spirit. Movement is a means of bringing the deepest intention into being.
Zuleikha often brings live rhythmic accompaniment to her workshops. Dance and drum share the language of rhythm. Humans participate in ceremonies with movement as a means of intensive learning and communicating with the knowings inside.Read More »
WORKSHOPS & CLASSES FOR WOMEN
Zuleikha has conducted women’s healing movement classes and workshops for groups and individuals, for many years. These take different forms: from single-evening classes or ongoing weekly classes to workshops lasting several days. Zuleikha feels that, as more and more women learn to enter the stream of inner freedom through the expression of the body, humanity’s relationship to life and the environment can be transformed in a healing direction. No previous dance experience is necessary, only a willingness to experiment with the creative process.
Zuleikha has been invited to be Artist in Residence at a number of schools and institutions, including Lines Ballet, San Francisco, CA, Lied Performing Arts Center and Midland Lutheran College, Fremont, Nebraska, Smithsonian Institution and the Freer Gallery of Art, Smithsonian Center for Education and Museum Studies and the National Museum of Natural History, Washington, D.C., Culver Academies, Culver, Indiana, and Lawrence Arts Center, Dance Department, Lawrence, Kansas.
“I felt very inspired by you and your work. It was an opening and freeing experience to hear your story to see how I could create my own way of living/dancing. I became much more aware of how dance can make a difference ( a huge difference) in our world. It changes our experience of life, of living. It can be like being born again. It can be like dying too. Yes! I would like to do this again.” – Alicia Pugh, San Francisco Lines Ballet studentRead More »
Zuleikha works with thousands of children and teenagers of many nationalities in the US and abroad. Her enthusiasm and love of dance and innovative use of world stories and rhythms bring young people together in a joyful atmosphere, where they can recognize their common human inheritance and appreciate the wisdom of a diversity of cultures. Teaching at schools, at camps, in orphanages and villages, in makeshift classrooms and outdoors, Zuleikha brings her inspirational gifts of movement arts to children of all ages and circumstances.Read More »