BODYLISTENING: A Movement Awareness Practice (MAP) for Everyone
• Body Listening is a body-friendly way to explore free movement.
• The process begins on the floor, exploring your relationship with gravity, attuning to a quiet deep awareness while being held by the continuity and safety of the floor.
• Moving from the body’s felt-sense, habitual patterns unwind and new pathways open.
• The session progresses to standing and moving while maintaining connection with your inner awareness.
• In the last phase of Body Listening, full body movements through space are explored, in relationship to other people.
• Body Listening doesn’t require special training or equipment.
• It doesn’t ask you to abandon the body you have for someone else’s idea of one.
• Body Listening invites you to inhabit the body you are, and discover what unfolds from that awareness.
• It can be done by everyone, regardless of level of health or movement experience.
Zuleikha works with thousands of children and teenagers of many nationalities in the US and abroad. Her enthusiasm and love of dance and innovative use of world stories and rhythms bring young people together in a joyful atmosphere, where they can recognize their common human inheritance and appreciate the wisdom of a diversity of cultures. Teaching at schools, at camps, in orphanages and villages, in makeshift classrooms and outdoors, Zuleikha brings her inspirational gifts of movement arts to children of all ages and circumstances.Read More »
THE DANCER IS IN THE DANCE
“Zuleikha…The comedy, grief, longing, silliness, and joy of being human come through her beautiful, very intelligent, very funny presentations. She has been apprenticed to many traditions, almost all of them, but her combining is unique.” — Coleman Barks, poet and translator of Rumi
Inspirational performing artist and storydancer, Zuleikha, a whirlwind of spirit, rhythm, and dance, transports her audiences with stories of nature, world lore and life itself.
Unique and provocative, Zuleikha’s soul-stirring one-woman performances combine creative expression with embodiment of story, dance, rhythm, mimicry and humor. The stories, animals and feelings she dances bring delight as she mirrors the journey of the soul. In the mesmerizing flow of living traditions and the humor and sparkle of the ancients, Zuleikha reveals the soul of our common humanity.
Zuleikha is an exceptional teacher and inspires people from all walks of life. She works with healthcare practitioners, children and adults recovering from cancer, adults with mental illness, and people with difficulties in their lives. Zuleikha works with youth worldwide, offers workshops for teenage girls, and teacher trainings. She also offers specially designed programs for women, corporations, international organizations and conferences.Read More »