Aurora Concert Video Excerpts
Acclaimed master of the electric violin, TRACY SILVERMAN, and renowned Storydancer, ZULEIKHA, join forces in a spellbinding performance of improvisational music, story, dance and humor.
TRACY SILVERMAN was named one of 100 distinguished alumni by The Juilliard School, and is the world’s first concert electric violinist. Formerly first violinist with the innovative Turtle Island String Quartet, Silverman is on the faculty at Belmont University and Vanderbilt University’s Blair School of Music, and is a devoted teacher of youths of all ages and levels, in developing alternative string styles, from classical to jazz to improvisation.
ZULEIKHA is an award-winning international performer, educator and humanitarian who uplifts audiences with her humorous, soul-stirring performances and has collaborated with numerous award-winning, world musicians and poets, including Coleman Barks, poet and interpreter of Rumi, world percussionist, Glen Velez, maverick cellist, David Darling, and avant-garde composer/pianist, Terry Riley. Founder and executive director of the non-profit organization, The Storydancer Project, Zuleikha has created unique tools for greater health called Take a Minute™ Core Wellness Exercise and Body Listening Movement Arts, which are being used worldwide to help people improve wellness and create empowered responses to chronic stress and trauma.
Read More »
BODYLISTENING: A Movement Awareness Practice (MAP) for Everyone
• Body Listening is a body-friendly way to explore free movement.
• The process begins on the floor, exploring your relationship with gravity, attuning to a quiet deep awareness while being held by the continuity and safety of the floor.
• Moving from the body’s felt-sense, habitual patterns unwind and new pathways open.
• The session progresses to standing and moving while maintaining connection with your inner awareness.
• In the last phase of Body Listening, full body movements through space are explored, in relationship to other people.
• Body Listening doesn’t require special training or equipment.
• It doesn’t ask you to abandon the body you have for someone else’s idea of one.
• Body Listening invites you to inhabit the body you are, and discover what unfolds from that awareness.
• It can be done by everyone, regardless of level of health or movement experience.
Acclaimed master of the electric violin, TRACY SILVERMAN, and renowned Storydancer, ZULEIKHA,
Young people in disadvantaged circumstances nationwide will have an opportunity to participate in AURORA PROJECT workshops with Zuleikha and Silverman on the art and joy of improvisation.
THE DANCER IS IN THE DANCE
“Zuleikha…The comedy, grief, longing, silliness, and joy of being human come through her beautiful, very intelligent, very funny presentations. She has been apprenticed to many traditions, almost all of them, but her combining is unique.” — Coleman Barks, poet and translator of Rumi
Inspirational performing artist and storydancer, Zuleikha, a whirlwind of spirit, rhythm, and dance, transports her audiences with stories of nature, world lore and life itself.
Unique and provocative, Zuleikha’s soul-stirring one-woman performances combine creative expression with embodiment of story, dance, rhythm, mimicry and humor. The stories, animals and feelings she dances bring delight as she mirrors the journey of the soul. In the mesmerizing flow of living traditions and the humor and sparkle of the ancients, Zuleikha reveals the soul of our common humanity.